In order to participate in experiments at the Appalachian State University Experimental Economics Laboratory (AppEEL), you must register in our database using the lab's online recruitment system. Part of this registration process involves acknowledging the following basic rules of conduct:
- You can only register once in the ORSEE database. Registering multiple accounts undermines scientific research. Any participant found with more than one profile will be excluded from all future studies.
- A certain number of registered persons will receive an invitation email to each experiment. The exact number is determined by the researcher conducting that experiment. Only the invited persons may take part in that experiment.
- If you receive an invitation email, you must respond affirmatively in order to participate. Spaces in an experiment are limited, so it is important to respond early to better ensure that a space will still be available. Important Note: Once you respond affirmatively, you cannot later withdraw this response from the recruitment system, so please verify that you are actually able to come before you respond.
- Usually, some extra persons are invited to ensure that a minimum participation level is achieved. Invited persons participation eligibility will be determined on a first come basis.
- Every participant who is invited to an experiment and shows up on time will at least be compensated by a show-up payment of $5.00.
- In experiments, participants are given the opportunity to earn money, which will be paid in cash upon the completion of the experiment. The amount participants earn depends on the decisions made during the experiment. Generally, the longer the duration of the experiment the more money participants will have the opportunity to earn.
- If a participant decides to leave before the completion of an experiment, they will be paid their show-up payment. However, they will forgo any earnings they might have accumulated up to that point.
- Important Note: After the scheduled start time, anyone who responded affirmatively to an invitation but did not show up will not receive any compensation for that experiment. In addition, he or she will be charged with a "no-show penalty." After a person receives 2 no-show penalties, he or she will be permanently removed from the database, and will be ineligible for any further experiments. Keep in mind that if they do not show up or show up late then the experiment might have to be cancelled because of lack of participants.
Therefore, by registering for laboratory experiments, you agree with the following statement:
I have been informed that if I do not show up or show up late for an experiment I have registered for, this may lead to the experiment being canceled. Therefore, I will inform the experimenter at least 24 hours in advance if I am not able to attend the experiment. Extenuating circumstances will be excused.